So lately I’ve still be carrying on my vibe of cooking absolutely anything and everything and learning new stuff. My most recent of course – Chicken Pot Pie.
It sounds crazy but I’ve never actually made a pie before, so I decided now would be a pretty great time to learn. I was actually amazed at how simple it was to make and how quick too – I managed to make it all within 45mins including prep time!
So the recipe (to serve 6):
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 2 Small Leeks / 1 Onion Chopped & Green Beans
- 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 500ml Chicken Stock / 1 can Chicken Broth
- 3/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Peas
- 2 Cups Frozen Mixed Vegetables
- 1/3 Cup Parsley (Fresh or Herb)
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Fresh Dill (Fresh or Herb)
- 4 Chicken Breast Fillets Chopped
- 1 Pack of Jusrol Shortcrust Pastry (2x Block Pack)
- 1 Large Egg Yolk & 1 Tablespoon Water
- Preheat oven to 205 degrees centigrade.
- Melt the butter over a medium heat and saute leeks (or green beans and onions) for 7 minutes. Sprinkle flour over them and cook stirring constantly for a further 3 minutes.
- Whisk in chicken stock, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and add in peas, mixed vegetables, parsely, dill and chicken. Mix well.
- Roll out the one of the pastry blocks to a 1″ thickness and line your pie dish. Pour in the heated filling and then cover with the last pastry block rolled out to the same thickness.
- Seal using the edge of a fork. Whisk together the egg yolk and water and coat the top of the pie. Cut 4-5 vents in the pastry at the top and pop in the oven for 30-35 minutes until pastry is golden brown and mixture is bubbling.
It’s super simple and makes for a great meal with additional veg and baby potatoes with gravy! I’ve made it twice now and am finally beginning to experiment more with the different veg combinations I use in there!